Sunday, February 26, 2006

Hope

There are no hopeless situations; there are only people who have grown hopeless over them.

Hope seems to be the most important attribute in the heart of man for survival and success. When we become hopeless, we slip slowly into depression. I have felt hopeless before. I had no hope for my life to turn out the way I thought it should. I had no hope for anything to be different or better.

Many believe that people die without hope. Viktor Frankel survived Nazi concentration camps and wrote a book, Man's Search for Meaning. He describes the psychological process men would go through. He described a death look that would overcome some men. When they moved to this stage, they had given up hope and died. He learned to go to men as they entered their building and talk to him about staying alive for his family when he got out. Every man had to have the hope that his family would survive. Without hope, he died.

A Latin quote "Dum spiro, spero" says "While I breath, I hope."

Where do we find that kind of hope? I don't know how people find hope apart from God. He transcends our circumstances. He can give us the ability to live above our circumstances. He is a God of Hope!

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

What is our part? Our part is to trust Him.

I have asked a lot of people what it means to trust God. Most people will say to have faith or to believe. I think all of those are true but they are synonyms, they don't describe the process. What would it look like in our life? I think it means to follow God's leading through His word and His Spirit and leave the results up to Him.

What is God's part? The God of Hope fills us with all joy and peace. He is the author of our hope, not the object. He says that we will overflow with hope because of the power of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.